There are some things that only experience can give you. Travel stories are one of the best souvenirs that travelers collect from around the world, and can be traded like currency in the right social circles. The experiences we have and how they shape who we are going forward is one of the most important reasons to travel. The places you travel to become a part of you
We wanted to share some of our favourite, collected in one place for your viewing enjoyment. This section is dedicated to some of the articles we have written for Travel Around the Galaxy, as well as a few guest posts that have featured on the websites of others. We hope that our love of travel comes across in these stories, as our number one goal is to motivate other people to explore the world, finding their own adventures.
Featured Travel Stories:
- The Canadian Rockies Road Trip (2018)
Wow! What an incredible two weeks! We just got back from our adventure around British Columbia and Alberta, where we explored the spectacular scenery of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. We drove through 5 different National Parks (Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Glacier, and Mount Revelstoke) and countless provincial parks, covering almost 2700-km in only 9-days. With each twist and turn of the highway, our travels through the mountains unveiled new spectacular views for us to admire.We had planned our trip for early October for two reasons. The first was a wedding – not ours – that we had been invited to in Revelstoke. Since we were going to be driving all that distance we may as well add on an extra couple days to visit Jasper and Banff National Parks before heading to the wedding, right? Seemed like a good idea… continue reading
- The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (2017)When we decided to start planning our trip to South America, the number one goal we set our sights on was a visit to Machu Picchu. Located in the jungles of Peru, this Inca Ruins was re-discovered in 1911 and has been a place of pilgrimage for all types of travelers ever since. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and was recently named as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. There are several ways to get to Machu Picchu. The easiest way is to take a train direct from Cusco to Aguas Calientes, spend a night in “Machu Picchu Pueblo”, wake up early the next morning to see the ruins and take the train back to Cusco… continue reading
Travel Stories (2001-present)
- Searching for the Mexican Muralists (2019) – coming soon
- Backpacking through Central Mexico (2019) – coming soon
- The World’s Most Dangerous Road (2017) – Coming soon
- Journey to the End of the World (2005) – Coming soon
- Hunting for Turtles in Italy (2015) – Coming soon
- Adventures in Northern Morocco (2008) – Coming soon
- Driving Across the Sahara Desert (2008) – Coming soon
The Road to Vimy Ridge (2022)
Vimy Ridge is the most iconic battles of the first would war, receiving almost folklore like status amongst Canadians. What did this battle mean to those who fought in this battle and what does it mean today? Following the First World War journal of my great-grandfather, i’m hoping to unlock a missing chapter in our family history.
Sometime in the “near” future, I will be taking a trip to western Europe to visit some of the key battlefields from the war. After discovering my great-grandfathers war journal in 2015, I was able to map out his journey across Europe with the help of google maps. One of the key components of this project is to follow in his footsteps.
This trip will take place primarily in northern France and southern Belgium. This is an ongoing project with lots of research still to do. I am currently in the process of re-imagining the first hand accounts of Percy (my great-grandfather) who served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force from 1915 until 1919. With the help of many different online resources, this has been an exhilarating journey. Currently in the process of writing a novel based his great war diary.
You can visit The Road to Vimy Ridge for more information. Stay tuned!
Exit Stamps (2022)
Backpacking isn’t always glamorous and it isn’t always fun. If you’re looking for relaxation, then the term you’re looking for is vacation. They’re great too, and are usually well deserved, especially after going on one of these trips. Traveling is one of the most rewarding things you can do with your life. The highest highs and the lowest lows.
What if you could only tell the story of traveling through the pages of your passports?
Crossing borders is definitely one of the most stressful and least glamorous parts of traveling, especially when you’re backpacking. Sometimes these events last minutes and are hardly worth mentioning again. Sometimes this means getting pulled off the train in the middle of the night by the army or sleeping outside with a pack of dogs for protection.
Hopefully that teaser was enough to pique your interest… this novel is an ongoing project.
Around the World from a – z
Articles featured in other Publications